A presentation on our report "South African energy sector jobs to 2030". Presented by the report's author, Jay Rutovitz, at a Johannesburg press conference on 18 August 2010.
- The Energy [R]evolutionhas the potential to create more employment than business as usual.
- Substantial benefit compared to the IEA reference scenario, net increase of 78,000 jobs by 2030 (46,000 in the IEA Reference).
- Even if SA does not take action to reduce greenhouse gases, coal exports are vulnerable to action elsewhere.
- Developing a strong renewable sector ‘future proofs’ SA economy; enhanced renewable scenario 56% compared to business as usual.
- South Africa needs to decide whether to be an importer or an exporter of renewable technology in coming decades.
Download PDF version
Download PowerPoint version