Sydney, Friday 10th May 2013: In an 11th hour decision, Channel 9 has banned Greenpeace’s controversial ad in support of a national cash for cans recycling scheme. The ad – lampooning Coca-Cola’s opposition to effective recycling – has gone viral, being viewed over half a million times on YouTube since its release on Monday.
In less than 24 hours, individual Australians chipped in more than $20,000 to get the ad on Friday night football which is essential viewing for key decision-maker, NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell. Channel 9 has already accepted payment for the ad. A representative refused to explain why the station was now pulling the plug.
“They took the money and now they’ve bottled it,” said Greenpeace Campaigner Reece Turner. “There’s something seriously wrong when TV networks are happy to show gambling, rape and pillage, but are too afraid to air an ad for recycling.”
“Coke has been accused of bullying politicians into blocking cash for containers,” said Turner. “It’s a reasonable assumption their influence is behind Channel 9’s last minute choking. Australians have a right to know what Coke is doing to our environment. It’s just a pity Channel 9 don’t have the guts to tell the truth.”
Last month, NSW Nationals MP John Williams blamed vested interests for the failure to implement cash for containers. “Both Labor and Liberal governments have been supported by the Packaged Stewardship Forum which basically helps them with elections and helps with funds," Mr Williams said. "I don't think that's in the best interests of getting the job done with container deposit legislation."
“Cash for containers is supported by over 80% of Australians because it is proven to be good policy,” said Turner. “We expect that Channel 9 will return the cash, but it does not look like they will respect the right of Australians to be heard.”
For more information contact Greenpeace Campaigner Reece Turner on 0408 754 910 or
Communications Manager James Lorenz on 0400 376 021