Redlist species sold
Atlantic sea scallops, haddock, net-pen farmed Atlantic salmon, Atlantic cod, tropical shrimp and prawns, and yellowfin tuna.
- Pledged not to source from proposed marine reserve areas such as the Ross Sea.
- Developed a new canned tuna policy that will include sourcing from more sustainable fishing methods and removing certain Redlist species from sale. Removed canned yellowfin tuna from private label brands.
- Exploring closed-containment salmon as an alternative to open-net pens, and advocating for removal of farms in sensitive marine areas.
- Sells 6 Redlist species including destructively fished Atlantic sea scallops and haddock.
- At present, individual products are not labeled with critical information such as area and method of catch or aquaculture.
- No visible sustainable information or signage at many Safeway stores
To download the full report in pdf format, click here