Purpose of the job
The Internal Auditor function is established to provide an independent appraisal and advisory function for the Stichting Greenpeace Council (SGC) Board. The function includes examining, evaluating and monitoring the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls established to regulate the activities and operations of Greenpeace International (GPI) and National Regional Offices (NRO’s).
The Internal Auditor supports the Head of Internal Audit in assisting management at all levels to achieve objectives consistent with relevant legislation, policy and strategic plans and procedures. The position provides detailed assessments as to the efficiency, effectiveness, economy, compliance and financial regularity of Greenpeace operations and programs.
Organisational Environment/Reporting Relationships:
The Internal Auditor will work in collaboration with the Head of Internal Audit and senior employees in relation to internal audit activities throughout Greenpeace globally. The position reports on a day-to-day basis to the Head of Internal Audit. The Head of Internal Audit is responsible for the position’s performance appraisal and development exchanges.
The Internal Auditor has independent status within Greenpeace and for that purpose has no executive or managerial powers, authorities, functions or duties.
The Internal Auditor uses risk-based principles to provide assurances to Management and the Board(s) on effectiveness of controls and efficiencies of processes.
- appraising the adequacy of organizational risk determination and providing assurances of mitigating controls;
- recommending improvements to controls, policies, procedures and management effectiveness;
- assessing the accuracy of management information and effectiveness;
- providing consultation activities to assist in maturing the risk management programs for the offices and in strengthening internal controls;
- conducting ad hoc and confidential investigations as directed
Skills required and qualifications
- Minimum Certified Internal Auditor, Bachelor’s degree in business discipline, or a registered accountant
- Demonstrated knowledge of risk-based internal audit concepts and processes. Ability to advise management on strengthening risk management programs.
- Minimum 5 years experience in internal audit together with knowledge of general accounting, finance, and Institute of Internal Audit standards
- Minimum 3 years experience working in a global capacity (conducting reviews or leading projects in multiple countries)
- High-level problem solving, research, and analytical skills and experience, including the ability to present findings in an appropriate manner
- Demonstrated project management skills, particularly in the areas of planning, coordination and meeting assigned deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills including oral and written communication skills and the ability to successfully interact with clients and stakeholders
- Proven personal skills of initiative, innovation, self-motivation and application
- An ability to maintain independence
- High degree of fluency in written and spoken English (mandatory) and at least one other language (preferred)
- Supportive of the values of Greenpeace
- High level of integrity and able to deal in sensitive, political organisational context
- Outgoing personality that can relate to different cultures
- Demonstrated team player and negotiation skills
- Proactive personality and result oriented
This position is for 2-year contract subject to renewal. Any interested parties, please send your cover letter and resume to
(All information collected will only be used for recruitment purpose)