POSITION TITLE: Online Editor
REPORTS TO: News & Public Interaction (NPI) Unit Manager/ Assistant Manager
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The primary purpose of the online editor for GPEA's mainland website is to build the web presence to ensure the effective communication of our work, values and identity in mainland China to build up public support for the organization and help Greenpeace achieve its organization objectives. The online editor is responsible for developing and driving the overall strategy of our mainland website including maintaining and updating content, pushing forward our web marketing strategy, recruiting and engaging online members and cultivating an active online community.
The online editor will work closely with the Digital Coordinator, the Head of Digital, as well as other digital team members, to ensure our project work is coordinated, strategic and resonates with our current supporters and new target audiences. This position is primarily responsible for maintaining Greenpeace mainland China's website, developing new tools and strategies, as well as being the key point for other GPEA offices to coordinate web content and work.
1. Lead the development of the GPEA mainland China website managing our online presence on a day to day basis, ensuring current events and campaign development are quickly reflected on our site as well as managing static content.
2. Work with other staff to execute plans on how to use the Greenpeace website strategically to help achieve communication and campaign objectives, with an emphasis on building public support for the organization.
3. Maintain a professional and high quality Greenpeace mainland China website by developing and overseeing the writing, producing and editing of frequently updated and user-driven content, including but not limited to text, images, videos and other media types as need arises.
4. Identify, design and develop innovative graphics, sound, and animations within the principles of the Web Style Guide and legal guidelines in order to produce dynamic, user-driven visual content for the Greenpeace mainland China's web presence.
5. Lead the development and implementation, along with the Digital Strategists, of an e-supporter strategy for Greenpeace's existing and new supporters, in order to build, maintain, and grow public support for the organization, by planning, preparing, sending and analyzing e-newsletters, including coordinating email copywriting, e-list communication, and the cyberactivist centre.
6. Liaise with outside companies, programmers, web designers and freelance personnel to develop agreed work. Manage and evaluate the quality of work of outside vendors such as hosting firms, designers, writers and software developers.
7. Liaise with web editors in GPI and other NROs as needed.
8. Lead the marketing of the Greenpeace mainland China website including implementing a search engine optimization strategy.
9. Work with media officers to ensure timely update of campaign news and developments.
10. Ensure that Greenpeace China operates in parallel with on-going developments within the web industry in China and globally.
11. Perform other duties as assigned by the line manager.
1. Passion for working to protect the environment and persuading others to care about environmental protection.
2. Demonstrates sound editorial judgment based on a thorough understanding of Greenpeace values, campaign, target audiences and agreed projects taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
3. Sound general knowledge of all Greenpeace campaigns and issues in order to be to reflect the issues digitally.
4. Significant experience working on web projects and activities in Mainland China. Knowledge of and ability to keep up with web developments in China as well as trends and usage.
5. Ability to develop new, creative approaches and advance communication goals and objectives. Willingness to learn new skills, technologies and information as organizational objectives require.
6. Proficiency in Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing.
7. Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and to meet tight deadlines, including a flexible mindset regarding working hours.
9. Able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
10. Strong project management skills including the ability to forward plan taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
11. Able to get quickly and efficiently get Greenpeace news and promotional messages understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
12. Able to build and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
13. Manages personal effectiveness adapting and working effectively with a variety of situations, individuals and groups.
14. Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in written and spoken English and Mandarin Chinese. Fluency in Cantonese Chinese is an asset.
15. Ability to be on call after hours and on weekends as requested.
As we receive a large number of applications for our advertised positions, we are unable to respond to applicants who are not invited for interview. We apologize for this in advance.
Please send your application letter and full English and Chinese resume with current and expected salary to:
All information collected for recruitment purpose only. Only short-listed candidates will be notified and we do not accept any calls or visits in the first instance.
For e-mail updates on new job openings: subscribe here.