We are seeking a dedicated professional to help the world’s most influential environment NGO to understand China better and campaign more effectively in this growing giant with increasing political and environmental impact globally. We’re looking for an ambassador to meet Chinese government officials, scholars and NGO partners on behalf of Greenpeace.
POSITION TITLE: Policy and Public Affairs Senior Officer
DEPARTMENT: Campaign Department
REPORTS TO: Political & External Affairs Unit Head
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Policy and Public Affairs Senior Officer is responsible for developing effective relationship with key actors in governmental and non-governmental organizations in mainland China to promote Greenpeace campaign and organizational goals. Working closely with the campaign teams, the Policy and Public Affairs Senior Officer will ensure the effective integration of political advice and strategic thinking into campaigns and organizational development.
1. Lead the development and implementation of strategies and projects, in conjunction with Campaign Teams in Mainland China and help with work in other parts of the world as applicable, to engage political and NGO actors to promote campaign and organizational objectives. Be able to operate in fast changing circumstances with ability to quickly and effectively adjust plans to best deliver objectives.
2. Actively engage in building effective relationship with players in governmental and non-governmental organizations in order to promote campaign and organizational interests. Oversee development and maintenance of extensive contacts.
3. Oversee the provision of high quality political advice and support to Campaign Teams and other departments in accordance with organizational and campaign objectives.
4. Provide expertise with respect to political issues and civil society groups. Keep abreast of existing and emerging issues in the political and public domains which are related to the environment and Greenpeace. Conduct research. Analyze new development in support of campaign goals. Research and analyze a wide range of specialized material on campaign issues and strategies.
5. Manage project teams to develop goals, strategies and plans related to specific work areas, within the required timeframes and budgets.
6. Organize activities and other public events. Make presentations and respond to public speaking requests. Attend and/or organize conferences. Respond to public inquiries about own area of work. Prepare materials and publications.
7. Liaise with other Greenpeace offices and Greenpeace International. Promote support within Greenpeace to advance campaign goals. Frequent travel to other Greenpeace offices, campaign locations, or locations where related campaign issues require the presence of Greenpeace representatives.
8. Manage contractors as required in compliance with Greenpeace East Asia policies.
REQUIRED QUALITIES AND SKILLS:
1. Bachelor's degree in related fields;
2. At least three years of relevant working experience with proven expertise in policy development, strategic thinking and political engagement;
3. Demonstrated ability to manage projects and project members to deliver objectives on time;
4. Fluency in written and spoken English and Chinese;
5. Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills;
6. Interested in environment issues and government policies;
7. Ability to think analytically and strategically;
8. Commitment to, and demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team;
9. Ability to work unsupervised, in a rapidly changing environment;
10. Ability to operate and lead under pressure and in physically or mentally challenging situations;
11. Commitment to the mission, principles and values of Greenpeace;
12. Computer literacy.
1. Knowledge of the overall goals and intent of Greenpeace activities to support environmental protection principles.
2. Understanding of politics in China and East Asia, especially in relation to environmental policy making.
3. Knowledge of environmental and ecology issues in general and expertise in issues related to one's area of responsibility. Solid understanding and analysis of political, economic and social processes and trends. Understanding of how to influence public and private institutions on the local, national and international stage, including how they interact and influence each other.
4. Knowledge of the media to increase awareness and gain public support to further campaign objectives. Use of the media to maximize campaign exposure but also be able to anticipate and counteract negative backlash campaigns.
5. Knowledge of campaign techniques, strategies and practices. Specialist campaign knowledge to help place the campaign on the local, national and international stage. Understanding of the tactics and counter campaigns used by various groups to undermine the credibility of Greenpeace, and ability to develop strategies in response. Knowledge of campaign techniques, strategies and practices.
6. Public relations: to function effectively within a highly charged atmosphere, under public scrutiny; and to represent Greenpeace in a professional manner among different audiences.
DECISION MAKING REQUIREMENTS:
The position works under the direction of the Political & External Affairs Unit Head. The position demonstrates a certain level of independence and initiative in managing a project and/or area of work, as defined by the Unit Head. The position assists the Unit Head in planning, development and implementation of strategies, plans, and procedures. Judgment is exercised in leading and managing a defined project and/or area of work. Decisions made by the position significantly impact the success of the defined project and/or area of work. Judgment and initiative are required, in consultation with the manager. Discretion is exercised in handling confidential and sensitive information.
SUPERVISORY AND FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
1. The position may exercise supervisory responsibility to one position if required by the manager.
2. The position provides direction and guidance to external consultants and temporary staff, as required.
3. The position has the authority to approve invoices and expenditures to a limit. Please consult with Finance Manager for the amount of approval.
1. The position works in a standard office environment, and is required to travel to other Greenpeace offices, campaign locations or locations where environmental problems require the presence of Greenpeace representatives.
2. The position may be required to work under pressure and in physically or mentally challenging situations.
As we receive a large number of applications for our advertised positions, we are unable to respond to applicants who are not invited for interview. We apologize for this in advance.
Please send your application letter and full English and Chinese resume with current and expected salary to:
All information collected for recruitment purpose only. Only short-listed candidates will be notified and we do not accept any calls or visits in the first instance.
For e-mail updates on new job openings: subscribe here.