In this issue of the Ocean Inquirer, we show how the CFP is financially supporting the ecological crime of deep sea bottom trawling, with a spotlight on France and Spain, the two biggest players in this destructive and economically unviable fishery.
The findings are unequivocal:
• Too many overly powerful boats taking too many fish;
• An unacceptable level of fish discarded at sea;
• A failure to adhere to scientific advice;
• Illegal, Unregulated and Unreported (IUU) fishing activities;
• Fleets failing to make profit or operating at a loss;
• Taxpayer subsidies helping to overexploit fish stocks.
Until the very last fish - The absurd model of deep sea fisheries