In all the spin from fossil fuels and nuclear industries, it is easy to start believing that renewable energy can't get us out of the climate change hole. Think again - not only is an Energy [R]evolution happening, it's already underway.
1) Europe DECOMMISSIONED more coal, fuel oil and nuclear capacity than it installed in 2009.
2) Solar energy is now working at night on a commercial scale. A plant in Spain has seven hours of heat storage.
15% to 45% renewables.
4) Price Waterhouse Cooper says Europe and North Africa could run on 100% renewable energy by 2050.
5) Subsidies to fossil fuels worldwide outweigh renewable energy support by a ratio of 12:1.
6) West Virgina could replace all its electrical capacity with just 2% of its geothermal power potential.
7) Solar photovoltaic could account for 5% of global power demand by 2020, and up to 9% by 2030.
8) Iceland's power supply went from 75% imported coal to more than 80% local geothermal and hydro in 30 years.
9) China built (roughly) one windmill an hour in 2009.
10) Our energy needs can be met by 95% renewable energy by 2050.
Want to know more? Read about the Energy [R]evolution and find out more amazing facts about renewable energy.
Got more facts that should be in our list? Add them below in comments!
Your full name
This field is required.
This is not a valid email adress. Please try again...