In all the spin from fossil fuels and nuclear industries, it is easy to start believing that renewable energy can't get us out of the climate change hole. Think again - not only is an Energy [R]evolution happening, it's already underway.
1) Europe DECOMMISSIONED more coal, fuel oil and nuclear capacity than it installed in 2009.
2) Solar energy is now working at night on a commercial scale. A plant in Spain has seven hours of heat storage.
15% to 45% renewables.
4) Price Waterhouse Cooper says Europe and North Africa could run on 100% renewable energy by 2050.
5) Subsidies to fossil fuels worldwide outweigh renewable energy support by a ratio of 12:1.
6) West Virgina could replace all its electrical capacity with just 2% of its geothermal power potential.
7) Solar photovoltaic could account for 5% of global power demand by 2020, and up to 9% by 2030.
8) Iceland's power supply went from 75% imported coal to more than 80% local geothermal and hydro in 30 years.
9) China built (roughly) one windmill an hour in 2009.
10) Our energy needs can be met by 95% renewable energy by 2050.
Want to know more? Read about the Energy [R]evolution and find out more amazing facts about renewable energy.
Got more facts that should be in our list? Add them below in comments!