UN Climate Conference — Doha, Qatar
26 November - 7 December 2012
Greenpeace is calling on governments to wake up to the reality that climate change is already gripping the planet and take urgent action to avoid catastrophic global warming.
In Doha government leaders must:
- Agree to continue Kyoto, the only legally binding cap of greenhouse gas emissions, whose first commitment period expires at the end of this year.
- Not carry over the excess emission rights – or 'hot air' allocation – that allows governments to trade their way out of real climate action.
- Increase their ambition for the next phase, i.e. adopt a roadmap towards a legally binding global agreement by 2015.
- Help bring about an energy revolution from dirty to clean energy.
- Ensure that a forest funding window is established within the Green Climate Fund to ensure adequate and predictable funding to halt the destruction of forests in developing countries.