What would happen if Japan's Supreme Public Prosecutor's office was inundated by letters calling for the whale meat investigation to be re-opened? Join us to find out!On this page we've prepared a letter you can print and post yourself, and a list of talking points you could use if you prefer to write a personal letter instead. Be creative!
First, a message from Greenpeace Japan
More than 250,000 Greenpeace supporters sent protest emails to
the Japanese Prime Minister to release our scandal-busting
activists, Junichi and Toru, who were arrested in May. And it
worked -- after 26 days in custody, they were released!
The Japanese Prosecutor attempted to block their release, but
failed and Junichi and Toru have now been reunited with their
families and are now awaiting trial.
Appealing against their release, the public prosecutor argued
that the numbers of people who sent these letters was
"questionable" -- this despite the fact that every single email was
double-checked by you. In other words, the Japanese Government
doesn't believe you exist. Now we need you to give them
unquestionable proof of support for Junichi and Toru:
Download this PDF, print it, fold it into an envelope, stamp it
and post it.
More time, greater effect:
Write a personal letter or card and post it. (Read further on
Guide to writing your own letter:
- Do not feel you have to use formal or elaborate phrases.
- Straightforward, polite wording is always acceptable.
- Follow the talking points we have outlined.
- Use language that is natural to you, and always keep the tone
polite and respectful.
Things to write about:
- You could ask any one (or many) of the many questions which
have been left unanswered by the Japanese Government whaling
full list of questions in this story here).
- Ask why the Prosecutor dropped his investigation on the same
day as the Greenpeace activists were arrested.
Beginning the letter
You can usually start by identifying yourself or referring to
- I am a taxi driver working in London, and I am very
concerned about the Japanese whaling programme, especially the
whale meat embezzlement scandal exposed by Greenpeace. OR
- I understand that you have dropped your investigation into
the whale meat scandal that Greenpeace exposed.
Making your request
The central part of your letter should make these two specific
requests to the Prosecutor, which should be to ask him to:
- To re-open the investigation into the whale meat embezzlement
scandal which Greenpeace was arrested for exposing.
- To drop the charges against Junichi and Toru
Ending your letter
- I look forward to hearing from you on this important
- I would be grateful if you could confirm that you will re-open
Try to include a phrase that encourages a reply. Make sure your
name is clearly legible: printing in capitals helps.
Yours respectfully or Yours sincerely are the best
Address to write to
Keiichi Tadaki, Hon Prosecutor General, Haruo Kasama,
Deputy Prosecutor General Supreme Public Prosecutors Office 1-1-1
Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku Tokyo-to 100-0013 Japan