Working Holiday Visa

Page - August 4, 2008
The most common visa used by travellers to allow them to work in New Zealand is the Working Holiday Visa.

Working holiday visa - easy way how to explore and work in New Zealand.

Working Holiday Visa is a reciprocal agreement between governments to allow residents of another country to work and travel in New Zealand for between 1-2 years. There are currently 27 schemes for the following countries: Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States and Uruguay.

Each scheme has its own specific requirements as well as the following general requirements:

  • You must be between 18 and 30 years of age
  • You must be able to show you have an access to sufficient funds to support yourself in New Zealand (evidence of an access to NZ$4200 plus airfare)
  • You have never been on a working holiday to New Zealand before
  • Evidence of an  adequate medical insurance for the duration of your trip (a simple travel health insurance. You can get a really good one from
  • Evidence of a return air ticket or available funds to purchase one

If you feel you have a problem to fill any of those requirements please contact us. We are adamant we can sort it out together or possibly look for another visa for you.

Working holiday visa allows you to work for more than one employer. For this visa do not need any confirmation from Greenpeace. You do not even have to have pre-agreement from any potential employer as people usually look for the job after they come to New Zealand.

For details on how to apply see:

IRD (Tax) Number

To work in New Zealand you will also need an IRD number from New Zealand Inland Revenue. If you do not get one, you will be taxed on an emergency tax code at a much higher rate than you should be. To obtain an IRD Number you need to download and complete the application form from the IRD website and then post it to the Inland Revenue office in New Zealand. This can be done in New Zealand or from overseas. For more details on this check:

Bank Account

We would pay you directly into a bank account so after you come you should open one. You will get the extra benefits of an EFTPOS card and cash card which you can use everywhere in NZ.

List of bank in NZ:

Kiwibank Limited


ANZ National Bank Limited

ASB Bank Limited

Bank of New Zealand

Citibank N A (B)

Commonwealth Bank of Australia (B)

Deutsche Bank A G (B)

JPMorgan Chase Bank NA (B)

Kookmin Bank (B)

Rabobank Nederland (B)

Rabobank New Zealand Limited

The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (B)

The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (B)

TSB Bank Limited

Westpac Banking Corporation (B)

Westpac New Zealand Limited

Banks marked (B) operate in New Zealand as branches of overseas incorporated banks. All other banks are incorporated in New Zealand. The Kiwibank is the only pure New Zealand ovned bank!