Happy holidays. Season’s greetings. Merry Christmas.
It all seems pretty much the same as this holiday season is about celebrating life and the hope that it brings when people take it upon themselves to do something out of the life-changing and the unexpected –pretty much like that thing that happened a long, long time ago in Bethlehem...
Here at Greenpeace, this season reminds us of the hope that comes when people take it upon themselves to act on what is right for the planet. This year is a celebration of that collective strength and the gains and painstaking victories that we have won are but testaments to that promise that the world must change and that it can change if we only get our acts together and seize opportunities for improvement in existing policies and business practices which takes the side of the planet.
These are just some of the important milestones that we were able to acheive this year thanks to you:
- After 20 months of mobilising, agitating and negotiating to green Facebook, the Internet giant has today announced its goal to run on clean, renewable energy. More than 700,000 people from all over the world joined to make this victory possible!
- International clothing companies Adidas, H&M, Nike and Puma, sign a Joint Roadmap, an important step towards the elimination of all releases of hazardous substances from the brands' supply chains and products by 2020.
- Companies like Mattel, Lego, Hasbro ditch their contracts with the unscrupulous forest-trashing company, Asia Pulp and Paper .
- After much difficulty brought about by the violent resistance of the biotech industry the Philippines remains free Bt Eggplant, as more people are awakened to the need to ensure healthy farming and healthy food for today and tomorrow, by protecting biodiversity, and opting not contaminate the environment with chemical inputs and genetic engineering .
- The launch of the “Philippine Energy [R]evolution Roadmap to 2020” outlines how, with intelligent planning, the current administration can steer the country towards development powered by sustainable energy.
- We can celebrate much, all thanks to the communities and networks that we were able to establish be it against nuclear power; for implementing energy efficiency practices in campuses; the Water Patrol Community that is at work raising awareness on pollution issues, and who will insist on their right to know about the chemicals that might find their way into the Marikina River; and renewed strength and resistance of communities against coal-fired power plants.
Truly we have a lot to be thankful for simply because we were not able to do this on our own. We were able to do much because of the many who have supported our work through their financial resources, with their time in volunteering as well as to those countless nameless folks who have chosen to take action in cyberspace. We are a step closer to our vision because of you and this holiday season is a opportune time to celebrate our collective victories for the planet.
Thank you for making this year memorable for Greenpeace Southeast Asia.