Greenpeace has three offices in Southeast Asia in Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines and each office is composed of five departments: Campaigns, Fundraising, Communications, Mass Mobilization and Organizational Support. Currently, Greenpeace has more than a 140 staff across the region, excluding the direct dialogue fundraisers.
Deadline for Applications: April 25, 2014
THE POST: Campaigner
The campaigner will serve as the Greenpeace representative on key campaign area - in Southeast Asia based out of Thailand and work towards the goals of Greenpeace Southeast Asia’s campaigns with the framework of Greenpeace’s overall objectives. In certain situations as determined by external events and upon the recommendation of the regional issues expert and/or with Country Director, the campaigner will be expected to move between issues and campaigns as needed.
It is expected that at least 80% of the campaigner’s time will be spent in the Thailand and based out of the Bangkok office, as well as work in other regional countries as required.
1. In conjunction with regional issue expert or nominated alternative or country director, develop and implement campaign work and projects in line with both short and long term goals for campaign based on national and international objectives and including detailed strategy, activities, timelines and budgets:
- Take the lead in the implementation of campaign and public outreach activities in support of campaign and assist in public outreach activities for campaign strategies.
- Participate in campaign discussion and planning regarding strategic issues and event planning. This will include both written and verbal discussion as well as attendance at specific meetings.
- Keep regional issue expert and country director informed of activities in the campaign (including preparation of monthly reports and work plans) and recommend changes in tactics, or strategies as necessary.
- Participate in regular progress reviews and end-point evaluations of campaign/projects.
- Co-ordinate information flow within the campaign and the Campaign Department, to other Departments as well as with relevant GPI units.
- Organize and oversee the work of campaign/project interns and short-term contractees where directed.
2. Assist regional issue expert or nominated alternative and country director in the designing and implementation of strategies to educate and mobilize various targeted constituencies and the general public about campaign and Greenpeace goals;
- Maintain a working knowledge of technical information and be able to present the information to a variety of audiences in language they can understand.
- Maintain a working knowledge of political, legislative, regulatory and economic frameworks relevant to the campaign.
- Build alliances and/or support relationships with relevant affected groups, grassroots organizations, academic and professional groups, labour and others as identified in strategic planning.
- Develop or assist in the development of fact sheets and other information.
- Write press releases and assist in planning media strategies for the campaign, act as spokesperson for the campaign, and develop pro-active relationships with relevant media.
- Represent Greenpeace and the campaign at relevant public events, activist meetings/groups, political decision makers, local citizens and other affected communities.
3. Direct, organize and participate in non-violent direct action to support and advance campaign goals and organization objectives.
4. Perform other job-related duties as requested or assigned by Campaigns Director or nominated alternative and/or Executive Director.
- BA or BS degree preferred or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of the main environmental and social issues relating to ocean and its impacts
- Excellent spoken and written Thai and able to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English.
- Demonstrated experience in an environmental/activist organization.
- Proven ability to work both independently and in close coordination with a team.
- Proven experience in directing a project from conception to completion.
- Preferred skills include experience in key program areas: public speaking, activist training, strategic planning and organizing people around an issue.
- Willingness to travel
- Capability to work in a field environment.
- Commitment to non-violent direct action as a means of affecting changes
- Engage in critical national and regional political and other fora relevant to the campaign.
Respond to and engage in internal as well as pressing external regional challenges as determined by the campaign team through the Campaign Director beyond his/her normal issue/campaign area as circumstances do require
More detail in recruitment pack
Interested candidates are invited to write Letter of introduction, explaining why you are qualified for the position; read our Recruitment Pack and fill-up Application Form which you can download from http://www.greenpeace.org/seasia/th/about/jobs/ and email by the closing date to:
We regret that shall be unable to acknowledge receipt of the form but should you wish to confirm that we have received your application, please call our office at telephone +66-2-3571921.
As we receive a large number of applicants for our advertised vacancies, we are unable to respond to those applicants who have not been short-listed and we apologize for this in advance. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have not been short-listed.
GUIDANCE IN COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION FORM
- Read the recruitment pack carefully before filling up your application form. Recruitment pack contains information about Greenpeace, about the job you are applying for, and brief information on employment condition.
- Fill up all items in the Application Form. Remember that this will be our basis for shortlisting candidates. Curriculum Vitae (CVs) will not be accepted.
- Make sure you email the form to the correct email address ( ), addressed to the HR Department, and ensure that your application form arrives before the closing date. Application forms received after the closing date will not be honored.
- If you have questions, kindly email .
Thank you and we look forward to receiving your application letter and completed application form