10 reasons why we should listen to Neil Young
January 16, 2014
- The Beaver Lake Cree have recorded more than20,000 treaty rights violationson their traditional territory due to tar sands development.
- Canada ranked dead lastin OECD countries this year when it comes to environmental protection.
- In order to avoid runaway climate change, UN Climate chief Christiana Figueres once again stated bluntly, Two-thirds of the fossil fuels we have will have to stay in the ground." That means many tar sands projects can never be built if our world is going to have a chance.
- According to the Harper governments own numbers emissions from the tar sands areset to quadruple.
- Alberta, home to the tar sands, hasdisturbed the natural landscape more than any other provinceis Canada.
- Anew studyshows that when mixed with sediment bitumen sinks in salt water making a tanker spill almost impossible to clean up.
- Over 130 First Nations have signed the Save the Fraser declaration opposing tar sands development on their traditional territory.
- The oil industry literallyre-wrote Canadas environmental laws.
- Alberta enforcesless than 1%of tar sands environmental violations.
- After 8-monthsfour CNRL tar sands spillsare still spilling. This is supposed to be the environmentally friendly form of tar sands development.