Greenpeace is the leading independent environmental organisation that utilises bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices. To ensure our independence we do not accept donations from corporations or governments.
The Payroll Specialist will take a leadership role in preparing accurate and timely multi-state, bi-weekly payrolls using ADP PayXpert and drive the implementation and maintenance of ADP EZ Labor Management. This will require thorough knowledge of both Payxpert and EZ Labor. The Payroll Specialist is responsible for reviewing and ensuring the accuracy of all payroll related data including: tax returns and W-2s; preparing and uploading journal entries to the general ledger. In addition, the role secures compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.The person needs to have an understanding of the details related to the payroll, a keen eye for the particulars, and an ability to quickly pinpoint imprecision in order to maintain a high standard for accuracy of vast amounts of data. The incumbent will supervise the Payroll Assistant.
- Process manual time cards and worksheets to ensure accurate and timely submission of payroll in ADP.
- Ensure accuracy of payroll records by monitoring and maintain status changes, tax withholdings, benefit deductions, time off accruals, etc.
- Reconciles payroll account balances (e.g. time sheets, direct deposits, wage attachments, benefits, voluntary and involuntary contributions, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining accurate account balances and complying with established guidelines.
- Research and resolve discrepancies in payroll information and/or documentation (e.g. time sheets, leave time, salary, W2s, etc.).
- Submit bi-weekly 401(k) contributions and reconcile benefit deductions with monthly statements.
- Ensure federal, state, and local taxes are reported in a timely fashion.
- Process termination checks in accordance with state laws.
- Comply with all relevant federal, state and local laws. Process all garnishments such as income tax, child support, loans of any kind.
- Develop and maintain processes and their documentation for the work related to the above functions.
- Retain all records as required according to state and federal laws. Take full responsibility for filing and records retention of all payroll records, including making the records easily researchable, arranging for transfer to offsite storage with destruction dates, and working with the archivist on archival records and vital records.
- Aid and support any internal and external audits.
- Effectively resolve employee issues by providing a high level of customer service.
- Supervise Payroll Assistant.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Expert knowledge of ADP PayXpert and EZ Labor Management
- Effective, solutions orientated team player
- Advanced Excel skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal relations skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Problem solving
- 5 years of payroll processing with ADP PayXpert and EZ Labor Management required
- Knowledge of federal, state and local withholding requirements
- Working knowledge of all periodic, quarterly and year-end payroll tax related reconciliations and processing to include W2’s,W2C's, amendments and imputed income
- Strong knowledge of Federal, State and Local payroll tax regulations
- Experience in researching complex payroll tax related requirements to identify area process improvements and ensure compliance
- Possess excellent analytical, problem-solving and planning skills
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Please send cover letter and resume to . by February 21st, 2014. Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: Payroll Specialist – YOUR NAME.