This page has been archived, and may no longer be up to date

Support sustainable fishermen

Our ocean's fishing grounds, once full of life are dwindling. In fact, over 75% of our fish stocks are overexploited. Still, too many huge vessels chase too few fish.

Meanwhile, small scale fishermen, who have fished responsibly for generations, are in real danger of losing their jobs and way of life. This threatens the future of our fish and our seas, and the communities that rely on them.

Be a voice for real change. Support sustainable fishermen.

Both current and past policies favor the most influential and powerful fishing vessels, many of which are both environmentally and economically unsustainable and catch more fish than the stocks are capable of naturally replacing. These vessels are kept afloat with taxpayers' money while small-scale, sustainable fishers suffer under an unfair system.

Despite representing 80% of European fishermen, small-scale coastal fishermen receive only 20% of the fishing quotas. Destructive, large-scale industrial fishing accounts for the remaining 80 % of the quota.

Responsible fishermen, who use sustainable methods, are losing their livelihoods. This is bad news for our fish and our seas.

Artisanal fisherman in a small boat
© Greenpeace / Jorge Guerrero

As the Common Fisheries Policy is under review for the first time in a decade, Greenpeace is working with sustainable, small-scale fishermen, to make health of our seas and fish stocks at its core. These sustainable fishermen may be the last of their kind, due to broken European and domestic fisheries polices that are stacked in favor of massive destructive European fleets.

Join us in helping our sustainable fishermen fight for a fair catch and ensure a future with fish on the plate but plenty left in the sea.

Together, we can be a voice for real change that will salvage a future for our fish, fishermen and the communities that rely on them.

Read more: All change - reforming Europe's fisheries policy

Dear minister, please listen

When you join other European ministers in Brussels on 18 December to decide how much fishermen can catch in 2013, I urge you to set levels that are in line with what scientists recommend. Small-scale fishermen who use low-impact fishing techniques should be given priority access to fishing, not the destructive industrial fishing sector. Please ensure a future with fish on our plates but plenty left in the sea for future generations!