Will you help demand a safe and healthy environment for our children?
Our future generations are threatened from this serious problem. The governments have always known what is happening to our health, but we have not seen any action being taken!
You don't have to imagine what will happen if children breathe toxic and poisonous air everyday, because it is happening right now!
It has been exactly two and half months since the New York Times, South Asia correspondent wrote a woeful story about our capital’s toxic air and have finally fled the country in order to safeguard the health of his 8-year-old son, Bram.
- Who does air pollution affect the most?
- Air pollution affects people of all age groups, however, the impacts of air pollution are felt the most on children and the elderly. Research from ICMR and WHO has also clearly indicated reduced lung functioning in Children who are exposed to high pollution levels.
- What are the harmful impacts of air pollution?
- Inhaling unsafe levels of air results in a wide range of illnesses and mortality, including cancer(especially lung cancer), stroke and damage to unborn children. They have a strong association with most types of respiratory illnesses such as asthma and bronchitis, heart disease and even mortality.
- How do I know if the air that I am breathing is safe? Where can one get information on air quality?
- As of now, the air quality data is available at a few online platforms and is not very reliable. However, as per the norms laid down by the central govt, data should be made available regularly at the following locations -
- How can you protect yourself?
Masks: Wearing N95 masks will provide effective protection against PM2.5 but ensure you are wearing the mask correctly with a tight seal around the face. N95 masks can be purchased in pharmacies and can be used multiple times. Only
when it's hard to breathe while wearing, should you dispose of it and buy a new one.
Reduce activity: Try to stay indoors during the most polluted hours of a day, which is normally from dawn till dusk. Do less physical activities outdoors.
Air conditioners: When using air conditioners set the button on inner circulation.