Organisation: Greenpeace MENA
Department: GP MENA PROGRAMME
Reports to: Head of PROGRAMMEII. Purpose of the jobGreenpeace MENA is currently seeking a creative, strategic, and energetic Campaigner to join us in coordinating investigative and engaging campaigns across the Arab world; with the aim to identify, engage with, support and amplify promising campaigns which have the potential to achieve meaningful change across the region. The “Campaigner” will have excellent networking skills, a good understanding of the Arab region, innovative ways of thinking, and good collaboration skills with a team of talented professionals within the MENA team and across allies NGOs in the Arab world.The campaigner should provide specialized campaigning expertise in emerging campaign project works and will be directly involved in the development and implementation of campaign project plans, under the leadership of Programme Director of Greenpeace MENA. The Campaigner will actively collaborate with fellow team members working on the Programme’s Communications, Digital engagement, and Volunteers.
We are looking for someone who can grasp the issues, spot opportunities, and support the mobilization of our activists to intervene in one of the most dynamic and important regions on environmental issues.
III. Main Responsibilities
A. Lead On Open Campaigns Platforms
1. Develop and deliver a sound and efficient campaign strategy that identify, track, engage and support with key environmental issues of the region. He/she will develop the work borrowing from the best examples of campaigning and movement building from across the world, innovating new approaches and integrating digital approach into those strategies.
2. Understand how to use digital campaigning tools to achieve the most significant impact, work with others, and understand other volunteers and supporters.
3. In order to ensure the best strategy is followed and to spot new opportunities, you will need to keep abreast of the campaign issue you are working on and understand the changing economic, political, legal, social and technical context within which the campaign is situated; develop issue expertise where necessary; and identify solutions to problems (including policy solutions).
4. Create, facilitate, and/or participate in diverse coalitions of people and/or organisations for the purposes of: increasing campaign reach and effectiveness; ensuring Greenpeace MENA’s knowledge of an issue and position on it is up to date and evidence-based; testing positions and strategies against different perspectives and experiences; and spotting opportunities for new campaigns.
5. Represent Greenpeace MENA in alliances and meetings, including meetings with senior politicians.
6. Lead campaigns and projects, including providing strategic direction; inspiring and task- managing staff members and volunteers working on the campaign; representing the campaign internally, including reporting to senior management; ensuring the campaign is legally compliant (e.g., libel cases and legal requirements) through seeking guidance as necessary; and reviewing campaigns and projects.
7. Work collaboratively with a cross-organisational team, including: prioritise own tasks (and tasks of those you are task-managing) according to team needs, with awareness of impact on others in the organization; show transparency in your task/work-plan and on progress in delivering on them; actively support others to deliver their tasks when team goals require it; and share your own skills/knowledge to develop others.
B. Building the Movement
8. Identify and proactively create movement-building opportunities as you design a campaign.
9. Work with and build the campaigning skills and knowledge of Greenpeace MENA local groups and community groups from a diversity of backgrounds to enable them to campaign effectively with us on shared campaign issues and on issues that they are working on that may have the potential to become organisationl priorities. This requires an excellent relationship, training and facilitation skills, including collaboration, communications (digital and offline, 1:1 and group), and good knowledge of working and communities.
C. Excellent Communications
10. Understand the role of communications in campaigning and the role of audience insight in generating communications plans and impactful communications.
11. Be able to use on and off-line media for greatest effect, and create proactive news and images for online, broadcast and offline media at a national, regional and local level.
12. Produce impactful content for all of Greenpeace MENA’s internal and external channels, including for our digital tools and briefings, evidence and reports for a variety of audiences (community groups, funders, politicians, policy communities at local, regional, national or international levels).
13. Be able to use, to at least a basic level, our digital tools, including uploading to the web, e-campaigning, digital organizing, and using relevant social media channels to create a dialogue with supporters, activists, and others. Being able to set targets and understand digital metrics to increase the impact of your communications will be considered as a major plus.
14. Write copy for external outlets (e.g. blogs or articles for national, regional and local media).
15. Offer impactful written and oral responsive media comment in line with agreed messaging and in collaboration with the Communication and Content team.
16. Represent Greenpeace MENA in external meeting on platforms at public meetings/conferences as appropriate.
17. Use Excellent internal communication skills to ensure that all internal stakeholders understand the campaign strategy (including the support it needs from others and what it will deliver for the organization), and progress made on delivering the strategy.
18. Be adaptable to fast-changing situations, including rapidly changing focus of tasks according to the team or organisational needs; and rapidly acquiring new skills or knowledge through training and experiences, including sometimes undertaking activities that you have little or no experience of.
19. Line-manage interns and volunteers supporting the development process and its phase – under the guidance of the team leader who will maintain accountability for welfare and performance of all team members – in addition to the main focus of the job of campaigning.
20. Under the guidance and approval of a Programme Director, lead a major campaign, including proposing the strategy and campaign for approval before proceeding, and consulting with them before making significant decisions.
F. Commitment to diversity and inclusion
21. Ensure that your work, and the work of those you task-manage, are developed to Greenpeace MENA best-practice guidelines on diversity and inclusion to ensure that involvement in the campaign is open to all sections of society, particularly under-represented groups.
Proven ability to work as part of a team.
Excellent Interpersonal relationship skills and networking capabilities, in particular building constructive and long-term relationships with both internal and external parties.
A well-rounded individual that values diversity, in particular having a global mindset and cultural awareness.
Ability to adapt, lead and manage change environment.
Ability to operate and lead under pressure and in physically or mentally challenging situations.
Commitment to peace and non-violence as a mean to bring change.
Ability to travel freely abroad as required and prompt availability for media coverage and emergencies.
Ability to understand dynamic scientific, social and political issues.
Ability to understand legal issues necessary for the job, and ability to work out legal strategies to turn confrontational situations to the advantage of the campaign.
Proven knowledge of the regional and international government process.
Track record of achieving success in people-driven campaigns or initiatives.
Demonstrable quick decision-making skills in complex circumstances, under pressure, and while managing multiple priorities.
A track record of delivering actionable insights for engagement programmes.
Proven experience in national or international campaigning.
Deep understanding of a range of engagement programmes and relevant key performance criteria.
Exceptional analytical skills and an understanding of organisational development and business planning including reporting skills.
Strong Negotiation, facilitation, communication and presentation skills – the ability to synthesize complex information and communicate it effectively and impactful manner.
Strong influencing skills – the ability to lead diverse teams to achieve agreed goals and to drive change without direct authority.
Demonstrate an ability to work and connect with diversified media channels, to ensure optimum media coverage.
Demonstrate basic knowledge in the use of digital media tools.
Project management, planning, and organising, including the ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances.
Time management skills, in particular, the ability to plan, organise and prioritise multiple projects and maintain tight deadlines.
• A University bachelor degree is a must.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in strategy development and networking with the NGOs sector.
• Strong experience in conducting research and analytical reports.
• Experience in Networking and building alliances.
• Experience in working effectively to very tight deadlines and under stressful conditions.
• Experience in working with multicultural staff and teams and across borders.
• Experience in implementing and bringing about significant positive changes in work culture, practices and performance.
English is a must. Fluent written and spoken Arabic. French knowledge is an added value.
How to apply:
Please send your resume to email@example.com stating the Job Title in the Subject Line “Campaigner” no longer than February 12, 2019.
Greenpeace MENA is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and to irrespective of gender, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in strictest confidence.