Last week’s volunteer call “Activism in a Disrupted World”, introduced Greenpeace’s brand new way for folks to take quick, deliberate action — Take Action Tuesdays! Last night was our very first! We hope to keep growing and expanding our impact, from calling on Congress to holding corporations responsible for polluting our communities and ecosystems. Our action doesn’t stop at the call though.
Below is everything you need to take action with Greenpeace!
Here’s what we learned:
- How to put pressure on congress, in order to push for just relief and recovery legislation. We dove into disruptive campaigning. Answering the key questions, why does calling your congressional representative work? How do actions like that lead to progressive change? Learn more here.
- We all practiced making phone calls to the congressional switchboard. Practice makes perfect! Sometimes making a phone call can be stressful. Looking for a sample of what to say during our phone call? Check out the sample script below!
- We all we’re able to feel a sense of connection and community through taking collective action!
Together we’re taking action by:
Greenpeace is part of an, 800 group strong, coalition demanding Congress pass a Phase Four bill that uphold the following five principles:
- Health is the top priority, for all people, with no exceptions.
- Economic relief must be provided directly to the people.
- Rescue workers and communities, not corporate executives.
- Make a downpayment on a regenerative economy while preventing future crises.
- Protect our democratic process while protecting each other.
The Senate is scheduled to return in less than a month. Now is the time to call your Senator and let them know you support a just and equitable, Phase Four, relief and recovery package addressing the COVID-19 crisis.
Call 1-888-907-6639 to be connected with your representative. Urge them to sign onto the 5 Principles for a just COVID-19 relief and stimulus, a set of principles supported by activist and advocacy organizations across the country.
What should you say? Here’s a sample script:
Hi [representative/senator name],
My name is [your full name] calling from (town / city, state).
I am urging you to support a relief package that prioritizes the needs of working families and lays the foundation for a just and green economic stimulus, while preventing more handouts for billionaire CEOs and expanded fossil fuel production.
I urge you to sign on to the 5 Principles for a just COVID-19 relief and stimulus, a set of principles supported by hundreds of activist and advocacy organizations across the country.
We, your constituents, are counting on you.
Thank you for your time.
Don't forget to ask your friends and family to call too!
Post on social to get your friends to do it too! Something like this:
Stay in the loop & Join future calls!
Take Action Tuesdays are new, so make sure to stay in the loop.
- Join our training THIS Thursday at 8:30 ET/5:30 PT to review the foundations of Congress — where power is currently, what is being done to advocate for the people of the United States, and how you can take action now.
- Check out our other calls – including next week’s Take Action Tuesday – in our volunteer call calendar!
- Join our Greenpeace Action Calls where we will learn together, take action together, and build community during these difficult times. Sign up here to access our Volunteer Call Calendar and get updates on upcoming opportunities!
- Join our Greenpeace slack to talk with other Greenpeace volunteers, ask questions and be the first to hear about new opportunities to take action.
- Weren’t able to make the call? Check out the slides.
Thank you for taking action & staying positive,
Supporter Mobilization (SupMob) Team at Greenpeace USA
Got any questions?
If you have any questions or run into any issues, reach out to the Supporter Mobilization Team at [email protected]