Dirty Front Groups’ Secret Piggybank: Donors Trust & Donors Capital Fund
by Connor Gibson
February 14, 2013
The support helped theCommittee for a Constructive Tomorrow(Cfact), expand from $600,000 to $3m annual operation. In 2010, Cfact received nearly half of its budget from those anonymous donors, the records show. The group's most visible product is the website,Climate Depot, a contrarian news source run by Marc Morano. Climate Depot sees itself as the rapid reaction force of the anti-climate cause. On the morning after Obama's state of the union address, Moranoput out a point by point rebuttal to the section on climate change.CFACT is among over a dozen organizations that get 30%-70% of their total budgets from the two DONORS groups.As we reported on PolluterWatch last October using 2010 IRS tax filings:
- Americans For Prosperity Foundationgot $7.6 million from DONORS groups in 2010,43% of its budget. AFP Foundation is chaired by David Koch and has received millions in direct funding from Koch foundations since the Koch brothers founded it.
- Committee For A Constructive Tomorrow(CFACT) got $1.3 million from DONORS in 2010,45% of its budget.
- Cornwall Alliance(through the James Partnership) got $339,500 from DONORS in 2010,75% of its budget.
- Heartland Institutegot $1.6 million from DONORS in 2010,27% of it's budget, which came from Chicago billionaireBarre Seid(see p. 67).
- State Policy Networkgot 36% of its 2010 budget ($4.8 million) from DONORS.SPNmembersinclude just about every climate-denying organization and every conservative think tank in the country,including AFP and Heartland.
- John Mashey/DeSmogBlog report:Fakery 2: More Funny Finances, Free Of Tax
- The Guardian:Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial think tanks
- The Guardian:How Donors Trust distributed millions to anti-climate groups
- Mother Jones:Donors Trust, The Right's Dark-Money ATM, Paid Out $30 Million in 2011
- Mother Jones:Exposed: The Dark-Money ATM of the Conservative Movement
- Center for Public Integrity:Donors use charity to push free-market policies in states
- International Business Times:Koch Family Uses Fund To Channel Millions To Anti-Climate Science Groups: Report
- U.K. Daily Mail:Revealed: Secretive funding organization 'providing millions to climate change counter-movement on behalf of fossil fuel industry'
- The Independent: Billionaires Secretly Fund Attacks on Climate Science
- PBS FRONTLINE: Climate of Doubt interview with Drexel University's Robert Brulle