Greenpeace is the leading independent environmental organization that utilizes bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices. To ensure our independence we do not accept donations from corporations or governments.
The Deputy Campaigns Director in conjunction with the Campaigns Director is responsible for the oversight of the Campaigns Department, including providing leadership on the design & implementation of campaign plans and management of the Campaigns team. The Deputy Campaigns Director is a member of the Program Management Team, which has responsibility for overseeing the day to day implementation of the Greenpeace USA program. The Deputy Campaigns Director shares administrative responsibility for the Department with the Campaigns Director, including budget management, oversight of evaluation, performance management and training programs and supervising departmental staff.
- Campaign Design– Support cross program campaign teams to create ambitious, high impact, well researched, campaigns. Campaign strategies should lend themselves to our theory of change – campaigns that use the power of people and have the courage to confront politicians and corporations.
- Building Power – Support the growth and maintenance of the organization’s relationships with activists, corporate and government decision-makers, coalition partners, reporters, bloggers, and other key influencers.
- Program Leadership – As a member of the Program Management Team, oversee the development of the organization’s program and help ensure its successfully implementation.
- Program Monitoring, Reporting and Evaluation - Support cross program campaign teams to deliver on agreed monitoring, evaluation and reporting requirements.
- Financial Management – Oversee preparation of annual budget for the department, hold budget holders accountable for their budgets and insist that they are careful with organizational resources.
- Staff Management – Manage Campaign Department Staff as agreed by the Campaigns Director.
- Other: Perform other job-related duties as requested, including acting as Campaigns Director in the Campaigns Directors absence.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Proven successful experience in planning, running and winning major national and/or international campaigns, including experience with strategy formulation, campaign design, corporate campaigns, political strategy, lobbying or negotiation, with a minimum of 10 years experience in this arena.
- Experience managing and leading in a matrixed organization.
- Effective negotiation skills in a national environment.
- Experience in non-profit financial management.
- Understanding of global environmental issues and commitment to global perspective.
- Media savvy.
- Experience with and commitment to cultural diversity.
- Negotiation skills.
- Crisis management, clear decision-making ability.
- Languages: Excellent spoken and written English. Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff that choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Please send cover letter, including where you heard of this position, and resume to . Please use the email subject line: Deputy Campaigns Director – YOUR NAME. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.