The strengths and experience of the ideal Major Gifts Manager will include: (1) in-depth knowledge of Moves Management in developing relationships with major donors and securing significant gifts of $100,000 or more; (2) a combination of persistence, creativity, and sensitivity to build long-lasting and authentic relationships with major donors; (3) demonstrated ability to develop and implement short- and long-term fundraising plans in concert with other fundraising professionals, senior management, and board members; (4) success in motivating board members and coordinating board-level fundraising; (5) leadership and management skills that motivate and hold accountable seasoned fundraising professionals, and will take the team to the next level.
RESPONSIBILITIES: In collaboration with the Director of Major Gifts and Foundations, the Director of Development, and the Board of Directors
1. Lead the Major Gifts team in developing and achieving significant growth.
2. Personally manage engagement with a portfolio of up to 100 active and prospective major donors. In collaboration with the program staff and the Senior Management Team engagement will include: phone conversations, in-person visits, and written communications, and informal updates (created in collaboration with the Senior Stewardship Officer).
3. Provide guidance to the Senior Management Team, Major Gifts Officers, and the Board of Directors on applying principles of Moves Management to broaden Greenpeace's network of major donors and to secure significant gifts. A key activity will be preparing briefings for program staff and the Senior Management Team and coaching them to assist in engagement with key donors, especially solicitations.
4. Directly manage three Major Gifts Officers and one prospect researcher, including: assisting them in developing objectives; providing oversight through weekly check-ins; and, conducting mid-year and year-end performance reviews. Other supervisory skills include: hiring, feedback, delegating, coaching and motivating, professional development, and some administrative tasks.
5. Along with the Director of Major Gifts and Foundations and the Foundations Relations Manager, develop and implement a fundraising plan for the Greenpeace board of directors, focusing on: (1) more deeply engaging key board members as major donors; (2) educating and coaching board members on engaging and soliciting their networks; (3) assisting with orientation of new board members with capacity for major gifts; and, (4) identifying major donors as candidates for the Board of Directors.
6. Collaborate with the Director of Major Gifts and Foundations to determine annual income budget goals for major donors, as well as benchmarks for ensuring the Major Gifts team maintains strategic and consistent engagement with major donors and prospects.
7. Manage the income and expenditure budgets for the Major Gifts team. Will prepare monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports and financial analyses for the Senior Management Team on progress toward financial goals.
8. Maintain and improve the existing tracking systems for ensuring that Major Gifts Officers are meeting monthly goals in communication and solicitation of major donors.
9. Mentor junior development staff and campaign experts on how to engage with major donors.
10. Input all appropriate information about cultivation activities, solicitations, and donations into Team Approach.
11. Perform other job-related duties as requested or assigned by the Director of Major Gifts and Foundations or the Director of Development.
- At least seven years of successful major gifts fundraising leading to the solicitation and closing of five-, six-, and seven-figure donations.
- At least five years of management experience in a structured environment of feedback and evaluation.
- Experience leading a team of Major Gifts Officers to achieve significant income growth.
- A working knowledge of environmental issues and activism.
- Experience in fundraising for advocacy campaigns a strong plus.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in a variety of forms — in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- Strong project management skills, especially in managing contact with up to 100 major donors and prospects in a given year; meeting multiple deadlines is essential.
- Attention to detail, especially in coordinating activity within a fundraising team and in providing in-depth accounts of contacts with donors.
- Ability to grasp and articulate multi-layered programs and campaigns in a way that meets the interests and passions of donors.
- Demonstrated empathy and ability to actively listen in order to build strong relationships with colleagues and donors.
- Demonstrated thoughtfulness, persistence, and creativity, especially in engaging donors.
- Familiarity with relational databases; experience with Team Approach a plus.
- Comfort working in a fun and fast-paced environment, where managers balance long-term planning with decisive decision-making in the moment.
- A positive and constructive attitude. Able to navigate difficulties and achieve positive outcomes.
- Position requires frequent travel.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Commitment to Diversity: Greenpeace welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural experiences and perspectives. Through our campaigning, we create solutions that promote environmental sustainability rooted in social justice. Our mission is to create a diverse and inclusive work environment that is a reflection of the global campaigns and missions that we champion.
Please send cover letter and resume to . Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: MAJOR GIFTS MANAGER - YOUR NAME. No phone calls please.