● Responsible for the planning, management, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of up to a 100-person major donor ($10,000 and above per year) and prospect portfolio.
● Works with supervisor to set annual goals that increase total giving, retain and upgrade donors, and expand the number of major donors. Regularly evaluates progress toward the goals and adjusts goals semi-annually.
● Conceives, communicates, implements and adjusts strategies for every donor and qualified prospect in the pool. Carries out strategies by actively and regularly managing moves.
● Acts decisively upon leads from Research Manager with qualifying calls and visits, ensures that donor records are up-to-date, and tracks moves in relational database.
● Initiates contact with donors and prospects, establishes and maintains a high volume of donor visits, nurtures strong and enduring relationships, and catalyzes increased giving by listening, learning, inspiring, and asking.
● Effectively uses a regular, pre-existing schedule of mailings (updates, reports, etc.) provided by the Senior Stewardship Director and develops and sends personally-tailored correspondence to donors, as appropriate. Collaborates with the Senior Stewardship Director and other staff to plan, organize, coordinate, and evaluate events, both according to regional strategies and in concert with ship tour opportunities.
● Understands the giving cycle, develops authentic personal relationship with donors, and knows when to ask. Solicits gifts personally and, when appropriate, in tandem with the Executive Director, other staff or board members.
● Drafts personalized gift acknowledgement letters and other donor correspondence for the Executive Director and other staff as appropriate. Ensures that all gifts from major donors are properly acknowledged within four days or less of receipt.
● Maintains working knowledge of deferred and planned giving vehicles and opportunities.
● Develops a deep understanding of Greenpeace’s mission, values and often complex campaigns, national and global.
● Performs other job-related duties as requested or assigned by the supervisor.
MINIMUM WORK REQUIREMENTS
● At least four years of experience in individual gifts and/or non-profit cause-related fundraising.
● Experience in cultivating relationships, soliciting and obtaining large gifts within a team environment.
Skills and Abilities:
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills--the successful candidate will be capable of understanding and articulating complex programmatic work to funders
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Strong organizational and project management skills, team-building skills, and familiarity with relational databases required.
● Must be creative, flexible, responsible, well-organized, and able to balance a variety of activities.
● Ability to manage systems, set priorities, and work within deadlines essential.
● At least half this position’s time will be spent in the field with donors. Depending on where the position is based relative to the donor and prospect pool, this may require rather frequent travel.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Please send cover letter and resume to . Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in Greenpeace's mission and the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: Major Gifts Officer YOUR NAME. Applications will be accepted until February 21st. No phone calls please.