Performance: Create annual budgetswith the Development Director that set objectives for total money raised, total members recruited, net income, gross income and expenditures, and attrition. Set regional and office-level goals and parameters for the program, including quotas, staff number objectives, and more. Manage the program to achieve these objectives.
Staff Development: Manage the recruitment, training and development of Regional Directors, the Training Director, operations staff, and office managers. Ensure that the team is diverse across many different group identities while creating an inclusive work enviroment .
Evaluation: Analyze national, regional, and office-by-office reports each week assessing performance with an eye on income, attrition, new members, members per hour, average donation, and other key factors. Highlight any key positive or negative trends and make changes to the program to maximize the income for the organization.
Supporter Management: Ensure that all member data is collected and secured centrally within 24 hours of receipt and that all membership data is secure at all times, that members are being debited in a timely manner signing up on the street, that all members are receiving thank you post cards and welcome calls, and that complaints are dealt with in a timely manner.
Innovation: Create, test and implement new methods of accomplishing programmatic goals while mitigating risk. Support staff in creating, testing and implementing innovative ideas.
- Ensure that systems for developing and tracking fundraising locations are managed in each office and centrally.
- Work with Regional Directors to develop recruitment, retention, staff development plans and performance plans week to week. Manage the Regional Directors to those plans.
- Work with Regional Directors, Human Resources and Legal to enforce performance standards in offices, which may include issuing warnings and dismissals.
- Work with Regional Directors to ensure that all staff, offices, and regions meet minimum fundraising standards.
- Perform regular site visits to offices to support and train offices.
- Ensure Frontline materials, letters and general information are factually accurate and up to date. Work with internal campaign and communications staff to keep information up to date. Coordinate regular campaign briefings and provide other motivational materials for Frontline staff.
- Work with supporter services to monitor comments and feedback, track cancellation trends for indications of performance problems, and provide timely answers for supporter service staff on possible donor questions related to the canvass.
- Write, test and adopt “face to face” fundraising scripts to maximize effectiveness.
- Organize and facilitate national trainings for Regional Directors, City Coordinators and other canvass staff.
- Collaborate with the Grassroots team to ensure that agreed upon campaign work in offices reaches campaign objectives and supports fundraising.
- Other assignments provided by Development Director.
Excellent interpersonal skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to manage and motivate a large team of staff; ability to identify, recruit, train and retain staff; short-term and long-term strategic planning skills; ability to analyze data, make recommendations and turn those recommendations into on the ground action; and proficiency in Excel, Word, e-mail and database programs.
High levels of integrity; commitment to grassroots organizing and civil disobedience as a way to make change; interest in innovative process design; commitment to protecting the environment; values diversity and models and promotes inclusion; and goal oriented.
- Regional or National Canvass management experience required
- A minimum of 3-5 years face-to-face fundraising experience, preferably in a canvass or other solicitation technique
- Candidates with directly similar experience in national-level field management or political mobilization will be considered.
- Experience using appropriate data analysis to inform decision making
- Proven ability to train and manage staff; ability to manage remote staff
- Proven ability to inspire teams with proven leadership skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects effectively
- Experience in handling and resolving customer service issues in a timely manner
- Experience analyzing data including affects of programmatic changes, scheduling, scripting and other program elements
Candidates should have high level of integrity; commitment to grassroots organizing and civil disobedience as a way to make change; interest in innovative process design; a commitment to protecting the environment and be goal oriented. Greenpeace welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural, experiences and perspectives. We learn from one another. Through our campaigning, we create solutions that promote environmental sustainability rooted in social justice. Our vision is to create a diverse and inclusive work environment that is a reflection of the global campaigns and missions that we champion.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Please send cover letter and resume to . Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in Greenpeace's mission and the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: NATIONAL CANVASS DIRECTOR -YOUR NAME. Applications will be accepted until April 25th. No phone calls please.