Greenpeace USA is hiring two online campaigners to join our fast-paced, innovative, and dynamic online strategy team. Do you have experience in organizing (online or offline) or managing social media? Do you love the idea of working with a collaborative, creative team to win victories for oceans, forests and the Arctic?
Greenpeace takes on some of the world's biggest corporations to stand up for a green future. And we win: Business Insider recently called our style of market-based campaigning "devastatingly effective." As an online campaigner, you would be on the frontlines of this strategy, using online tools to reach and mobilize our supporters to take action.
We're looking for people with excellent writing skills, the ability to think on their feet, and a passion for innovation and social change. If you think that's you, read on and apply.
These are results-oriented positions reporting to a Senior Online Strategist. The Online Campaigners are responsible for online campaign implementation across email, social media, SMS and other digital platforms. Working closely with all members of the Online team and together with the Actions, Communications, Campaigns and Grassroots departments, the Online Campaigners will help create and implement our campaign work and fundraising efforts.
The position requires a basic overall understanding of digital communications technology (i.e. social media platforms, basic content management systems, CRM’s, SMS, and web management) and techniques.
It’s a great opportunity to work with an amazing team of professionals and implement the online strategy of one of the largest and most effective environmental organizations in the world.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write compelling email copy that engages Greenpeace’s over one million supporters to take action or donate money, code and test the emails using our CRM to ensure they are of the highest quality and mistake free, and create the groups who will be receiving each email based on the identified campaign strategy;
- Work on cross-departmental project teams -- and in some cases lead those teams and facilitate the projects -- as well as with the SeniorOnline Strategists to develop and execute creative online strategies that help achieve campaign and program objectives;;
- Responsible for working with the Data Team to ensure all testing is properly executed across digital platforms;
- Manage the health of various online social communities and be constantly monitoring participant data and other engagement trends to ensure the organization is operating as optimally as possible in those environments;
- Work with the Social Media Strategist to plan and implement weekly social media output strategies on a variety of Greenpeace’s platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Instagram;
- Independently create compelling visual content for Facebook and other social platforms to help promote our campaigns and fundraising work;
- Create online advertising strategies to reach new targeted audiences and acquire new supporters with compelling online advocacy and fundraising campaigns;
- Help research, develop and manage the implementation of Greenpeace’s SMS and mobile strategies;
- Respond to and engage with supporter comments across Greenpeace’s various social media communities, including working with Grassroots on our volunteer engagement platform;
- Manage and oversee the work of the Online team interns;
- Work with outside vendor, consultants and contractors to help implement the aforementioned work within budget.
- Represent the organization at conferences, give presentations and trainings, participate in webinars on behalf of the organization and engage in coalition work with Greenpeace’s allies.
Successful applicants must possess these qualifications:
- 1 – 3 years of experience in online campaigning -- including email marketing and fundraising;
- Excellent writing and editing skills with strong attention to detail (as evidenced through provided writing samples and a practicum during the interview process);
- Functional knowledge of online organizing platforms (e.g, Convio, Salsa, Blue State Digital) social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter and SMS;
- Knowledge of at least basic HTML coding skills;
- Background in and/or passion for environmental issues;
- Strong, sharp and personable and looking to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Basic understanding of Photoshop not required, but a plus.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Commitment to Diversity: Greenpeace welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural experiences and perspectives. Through our campaigning, we create solutions that promote environmental sustainability rooted in social justice. Our mission is to create a diverse and inclusive work environment that is a reflection of the global campaigns and missions that we champion.
Please send cover letter and resume to . Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: ONLINE CAMPAIGNER - YOUR NAME. No phone calls please.