For over 35 years Greenpeace has been inspiring and mobilizing people all over the world to work toward a more green and peaceful planet. We are a leading independent environmental organization that utilizes bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices. To ensure our independence we do not accept donations from corporations or governments.
In collaboration with the Energy Campaigns Director The Senior Campaigner will be an integral part of leading the Greenpeace US Energy Team helping to implement, and coordinate activities that push US corporations and governments to drive uptake of renewable energy. The position will also include engaging with the global Energy Team to capitalize on opportunities to push corporate actors outside the US. The Senior Campaigner will report to the Greenpeace US Energy Campaign Director.
1. In conjunction with the Energy Campaign Director, develop and execute a work plan in line with both short term and long term goals for the campaign.
- Coordinate information flow within campaign, between departments and across the global organization
- Facilitate strategic and tactical decision-making on a day-to-day basis
- Participate in strategic planning of the campaign
- Build alliances and/or support relationships with constituencies identified in strategic planning
- Maintain a working knowledge of political, legislative, regulatory and economic framework relevant to the campaign
- Coordinate and conduct research and analysis to further campaign goals
- Maintain a working knowledge of climate and energy issues and be able to present the information to a variety of audiences in language they can understand
- Develop or assist in the development of written materials
- Write or assist in writing press releases and in planning media strategies. Act as spokesperson for campaign to the media and develop pro-active relationship with media
- Represent Greenpeace and the campaign at public events, grassroots activists groups, local citizens/town forums and the environmental community at large.
- Keep director up to date on the campaign and recommend changes in strategies or tactics if necessary
2. Manage a sub-component of a campaign or project independently, with guidance from the campaign director, to include managing interactions with other Greenpeace offices, within the context of the particular project.
3. Mentor junior campaigners to teach the fundamental skills of Greenpeace campaigning.
4. Direct, organize and participate in non-violent direct action events to support the campaign goals and national objectives.
5. Perform other job related duties as requested or assigned.
- Organizational skills, including experience with project management
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Proven ability to develop and implement campaigns
- Ability to think creatively and innovate
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to travel
- Leadership ability
EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- A minimum of seven years experience in campaigning, on climate and energy issues and/or on market based strategies
- Proven ability to work both independently and in close coordination with a team
- Well-rounded with ability to work with a variety of people and groups
- Proven experience in directing a project from conception to completion and clear track record in overseeing effective campaigns
- Strong skills and experience in public speaking/lobbying and/or organizing people around an issue
- Commitment to non-violence as a means of affecting change
- Willing to travel as required
Greenpeace welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural, experiences and perspectives. We learn from one another. Through our campaigning, we create solutions that promote environmental sustainability rooted in social justice. Our vision is to create a diverse and inclusive work environment that is a reflection of the global campaigns and missions that we champion.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Please send cover letter and resume to by April 30th, 2014. Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: CLIMATE & ENERGY CAMPAIGNER- YOUR NAME. No phone calls please.