12 Things You Can Do To Start An Eco-Food Revolution
We’ve compiled 12 things you can do now that will immediately begin healing our food system. They include eliminating processed foods from your diet—which require more greenhouse gases to produce—buying sustainable or organic fresh produce whenever possible and putting the pressure on industrial agriculture corporations.
We literally have the power to change the world.
When we tell our families and friends why ecological farming makes sense, we start to heal our bodies and the planet. We can make smarter food choices when we shop, cook or go out to eat. When we work together, we can take small actions now that have a huge impact so we can end the broken food system once and for all. It’s time to reconnect with food and the people who grow it. Once we do that, it creates ripples that eventually grow into shockwaves that will change our industrial agriculture system.
It All Starts With Us
We’ve compiled 12 things you can do now that will immediately begin healing our food system. Put these action items in a place that you can remember for easy reference. Share what you’ve learned on Facebook or Twitter. And sign up for our food related action alerts so Greenpeace can alert you when it’s time to work together on a major campaign.
Create a Mass Market for Healthy Food
- Pledge to buy sustainable or organic fresh produce whenever possible.
- Calculate how many “food miles” your produce took before you buy
- Buy from local farms or farmers markets whenever possible.
Avoid Processed Food
- Begin eliminating processed foods from your diet, which harm your health and the environment.
- Make fresh fruits and vegetables a bigger part of your diet.
Pressure Big Food
- Use Greenwire to start a local petition asking your grocer to stock and promote food from eco-farms.
- Use Greenwire to start a local petition pressuring your school board or county to provide eco-food choices for children.
- Use Greenwire to start a local petition to shut down a proposed factory farm.
Pressure Big Agriculture
- Review your financial portfolio for industrial agriculture firms like Monsanto, Bunge, ADM, Cargill, Drefyus and move your money to a socially responsible investment.
- Review your financial portfolio for corporate meat processors like Cargill, Smithville, Tyson, Hormel, Vion and Danish Crown and move your money to a socially responsible investment.
Reduce Meals With Meat
- Commit to reducing your meat and cheese consumption by a few meals per week and tell five friends about your choice to find alternative proteins.
Make Climate Activists Food Activists
- Make sure your friends in the climate change movement understand the role that industrial agriculture plays in warming the planet.