Greenpeace is the leading independent environmental organization that utilizes bold action, cutting-edge research and creative communications to protect the Earth. We expose global environmental problems and promote the solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. We investigate, document and expose environmental destruction in a peaceful manner and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices. To ensure our independence we do not accept donations from corporations or governments. To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.greenpeace.org
Do you have experience managing online social communities on platforms like Facebook and Twitter? Creating amazing graphics that connect with people and using data to determine what is working best? And do you love the idea of using your skills working with a collaborative, creative team to fight climate change and win victories for oceans and forests? Greenpeace USA is hiring its next Social Media Community Manager to join our fast-paced, innovative, and dynamic Online Strategy team.
Greenpeace takes on some of the world's biggest corporations to stand up for a green future. And we win: Business Insider recently called our style of market-based campaigning "devastatingly effective." As the Social Media Community Manager, you would be on the frontlines of this strategy, using social media platforms to reach and mobilize our supporters to take action.
We're looking for people with a feel for managing online communities, who can think on their feet, track conversations to react and seize opportunities, and bring a passion for innovation and social change. If you think that's you, read on and apply.
This is a results-oriented position reporting to the Senior Online Strategist. The Social Media Community Manager will be responsible for managing the overall strategic direction and day-to-day implementation of content across all of Greenpeace USA’s social media assets.
The position requires an intimate understanding of various social media platforms and how they work. It’s a great opportunity to work with an amazing team of professionals and implement the social media strategy of one of the largest and most effective environmental organizations in the world.
The Social Media Community Manager’s duties and responsibilities will include the following elements:
- Designing and creating engaging written and graphic content for Greenpeace’s social media channels.
- Managing community relationships on major social media channels.
- Training Greenpeace staff on how to use social media for campaigns and community organizing.
- Overseeing outside contractors for developing new social media tools.
- Gathering and analyzing social media data and tailoring strategy and tactics based on this analysis.
- Working across departments and with other international Greenpeace offices on major projects.
- Working cooperatively with a highly skilled and passionate team.
Successful applicants must possess these qualifications:
- 2 years experience managing online communications, including content for major social media channels like Facebook, Twitter and other platforms for a brand or nonprofit organization
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, geographically distributed team
- Experience planning, managing and executing successful social media campaigns
- Ability to write impactful and engaging campaign messaging that resonates with our membership
- Experience with graphic design and familiarity with programs such as: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to track and analyze online data across email, web and social media platforms.
The position will be based either in either Washington, DC or San Francisco, CA.
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental, and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 401K matching and time off for vacation, sick, personal, and parental leave. After five years, staff are eligible for a paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture. For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Please send cover letter and resume to . Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in Greenpeace’s mission and the available position and how you found out about this career opportunity. Please use the email subject line: Social Media Manager Position – YOUR NAME. Application deadline is September 13, 2014. No phone calls please.
Commitment to Diversity:
Greenpeace welcomes and values diversity of people, cultural experiences and perspectives. Through our campaigning, we create solutions that promote environmental sustainability rooted in social justice. Our mission is to create a diverse and inclusive work environment that is a reflection of the global campaigns and missions that we champion.