15,000 volunteers around the world help us to do everything from painting signs and organising local marches, to dropping banners and occupying oil-rigs. Ever wanted…Get Involved
Greenpeace undertakes research and investigations as an integral part of its campaigns. The Strategy and Analysis Unit is responsible for the planning, coordination and execution of research and investigations in the Southeast Asia region.
The Regional Research and Investigations Coordinator is responsible for furthering Greenpeace Southeast Asia’s (GPSEA) programme objectives through capacity building, implementation of best practice, advice on strategic use of various types of research and investigations as well as development and guidance of high quality research and investigation projects. They will also contribute to the development of the Projects, Actions and Public Engagement Units tactical and strategic capabilities specifically on research and investigations.
The Regional Research and Investigations Coordinator is a member of GPSEA strategy and analysis team and reports to the Strategy and Analysis Director.
This is a full-time position for locals based in either Manila, Bangkok, Jakarta, and Kuala Lumpur; and for non-nationals this is a fixed-term contract with a minimum of two years based in Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta, subject for visa immigration approval.
- Develop Regional Information Acquisition Systems
- Coordinate Regional Information Acquisition and Research and Investigation Project Management
- Conduct research projects in alignment with programme priorities
- Support, coordinate, conduct or advise on investigation projects as determined by the Greenpeace South East Asia campaign programme priorities
Propose and implement best practice in investigations in GPSEA according to the internationally recognized standards or according to the GPI best practice guidelines for investigations
Work with the actions unit to undertake, and where appropriate coordinate, research and investigations for actions targets as determined by the programme priorities
Coordinate working relationships between the investigations team and other programme disciplines
Assess and recommend subscriptions to databases and tools (such as software or other types of platforms) related to investigation needs
Coordinate when required with the Development Department on grant requests for research-related funding
Liaise with the legal counsel for the legal and /or juridical aspects of the investigation projects
Coordinate the research and development of new and innovative research tools and techniques
Ensure all investigation projects meet ‘ best practice’ standards
Ensure field investigations and research priorities align with GPSEA organizational strategic plan
- External Networks and Representation
- Programme Planning
- Risk Analysis and Management
- Contribute to capacity building in GPSEA
Educational Background & Fundamental Qualifications
Level of Education: Degree or equivalent experience – in Environmental Policy or Science, Environmental Studies, Journalism, Law, Business Administration or other research/investigative field
Master’s degree (preferred)
Field of Study: Environmental Policy or Science, Environmental Studies, Journalism, Law, Business Administration or other research/investigative field
Work Experience: 3-5 years or more in research / investigation related work
- Diverse research skills and experience – both desk based and field work, preferably in Southeast Asia and/or in heightened security situations
- Experience managing or team leading research projects
- Experience in utilizing a range of research methodologies
- Strong communication skills – ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with a wide range of people both verbally and in writing; public speaking skills; online communications experience, ability to make effective presentations in remote, diverse and multi-cultural environments.
- Experience using strategic research for campaign objectives and problem solving – demonstrated ability to think both strategically and creatively
- Understanding of security, information security, health and safety issues related to field research work
- Strong logistical organizing and planning skills
- Experience in development of information management systems
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment across different cultures
- High level of computer literacy
- Ability to be self directed and to work well under pressure
- Ability to travel and spend long periods away from home
- Commit to the ideals of Greenpeace including a global perspective
- Understanding of environmental and peace issues
- Fluency in English, with ability to communicate in another SEA regional languages desirable
- Experience using satellite equipment and other field communication systems
- Management and training in hazmat procedures and systems
- Experience and/ or training in security assessments and management
- Experience developing and leading trainings
This is a full-time position based in Southeast Asia. Please download the recruitment pack below for more details on this job opening.
Interested candidates are invited to write a Letter of Introduction, explaining why you are qualified for the position and why you want to work for Greenpeace, fill out the attached application form and email to [email protected]
As we receive a large number of applicants for our advertised vacancies, we are unable to respond to those applicants who have not been shortlisted and we apologize for this in advance. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have not been shortlisted.
Guidance in completing your application form
- Read the recruitment pack carefully before completing your application form. The recruitment pack contains information about Greenpeace, about the job you are applying for, and brief information on employment conditions.
- Complete all items in the application form. Remember that this will be our basis for shortlisting candidates. Curriculum Vitae (CVs) will not be accepted.
- Make sure you email the form to the correct email address ([email protected]), addressed to the HR Department, and ensure that your application form arrives before the closing date. Application forms received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- If you have questions, kindly send an email to [email protected].
Deadline for applications: July 24, 2019