Job Title: Communications & Media Manager
Organisation: Greenpeace MENA
Department: GP MENA Engagement Department
Reports to: Engagement Director
Job Grade: 16 A
Location: Job is based in MENA region
The overall purpose of the job is to strategize, plan and deliver impactful communications, storytelling and content for Greenpeace MENA, across media and platforms. This role will support in enhancing the public image and impact of Greenpeace and its campaigns in the MENA region, to have a good understanding of the target audience and to draft the content that speaks to them.
Scope The post holder is line-managed by the Engagement Director and will have to develop and execute communications and media strategies for Greenpeace MENA. The post holder’s responsibilities extend beyond the territories where the position is based, as s/he may be assigned to work on projects which require global and regional communication efforts, as well as involve multiple other Greenpeace offices. The responsibilities require independence and initiative from the post holder. Decisions made by the post holder impact the overall success of the Greenpeace MENA and the achievement of the organization objectives.
COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGIES Lead and coordinate the development and formulation of GP MENA communications strategies in line with the organization’s and campaigns’ strategies and objectives. Ensure communications consistency and delivery against the agreed objectives. Maintain an overview of key external developments and adjust communication plans according to internal needs and external trends in a timely and decisive manner.
EDITORIAL WRITING, REVIEW & PUBLISHING Provide editorial decisions that leverage a mix of traditional and social media platforms to prepare and distribute relevant content globally and regionally, both proactive and reactive. Suggest content, provide insight on which story angles will be most effective for the region and support communication needs of campaign projects on forthcoming opportunities. Prepare and/or edit blogs and press materials, including press releases, Q&As, backgrounders, and features, and publish them on GP MENA’s owned website.
MEDIA NETWORKING, PITCH & DISTRIBUTION Maintain a strong understanding and up-to-date knowledge of the media landscape in the MENA region and emerging communication channels. Build and maintain relationships with key media across the region, distribute all hard-news material to media wires and outlets in the region, keep our press contact list up-to-date, pitch stories and liaise with journalists for the placement of our materials on local and regional media.
RESPONSIVE COMMUNICATION AND RAPID RESPONSE In conjunction with Greenpeace MENA’s Programme Team, coordinate regional communications response to external events or incidents that offer opportunities for the organization and/or reputational threats to the organization.
MEDIA MONITORING Set-up real-time monitoring across relevant communications streams (traditional and social media) in the region to identify opportunities for reactive media relations and campaigning, as well as Greenpeace’s impact on relevant public conversations.
SUPPORT CAMPAIGN PROJECTS Support the development and delivery of specific campaign projects with a focus on audience, communications and media impact. Identify and deliver strategic content and calls to action that meet media, messaging and audience engagement objectives.
MONITORING, EVALUATION AND REPORTING Evaluate project’s progress and shortcomings on communications and media at designed points of evaluation, and support the drafting of campaign progress and annual reports. Ensure that learning from evaluations is incorporated in future work and foster a culture of continuous improvement.
OTHER Any other duty, as appropriate to the post and as delegated by your line manager.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate or Postgraduate degree (Masters) preferably in communications or journalism
Experience & skills
- A minimum of 5 years of significant professional experience in Communications Management or 10 years in Senior Communications and media relations
- A proven track record of developing & delivering successful communications strategies including the ability to formulate and implement a comms strategy solely, and within teams and to bring creativity in the identification and exploitation of media opportunities
- Good media/journalist connections, especially in the MENA region
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships, in particular working with cross-cultural and global teams.
- Good planning and organizing abilities
- Good time management
- Ability to lead, motivate and instill passion
- Autonomous, flexible and agile
- Knowledge sharing – Values diversity, in particular, experience in working in an international environment and coordination of rollouts across global markets.
- Assertive and persistent, demonstrate the ability to effectively lead an operation from inception to completion
- Act with integrity consistently
- Demonstrate a positive mindset and solutions-oriented attitude
- Demonstrate openness and curiosity to test new ideas and learn
Commitment to Greenpeace’s core values in response to environmental and peace issues through non-violent direct action-led campaigning in line with its mission.
Greenpeace MENA is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and irrespective of gender, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in strictest confidence.
How to apply
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to this link stating the Job Title in the Subject Line “Communications & Media Manager” no longer than Feb 25, 2023