The Regional Research Analyst is responsible for conducting strategic research, data collection, analysis and investigations to help better inform projects and campaigns across Greenpeace Southeast Asia. This includes providing support to project teams with relevant research and investigation outputs to ensure that campaigns are backed with credible and effective data and evidence. The person will also provide and execute strategic advice on the development of research and investigations.
This is a full-time position, based in either Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Jakarta or Manila. Citizens of Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Conceptual tasks, strategy development
- In conjunction with the Regional Research & Investigation Coordinator, advise campaign projects on research-related matters and research and data-oriented opportunities. Collaborate with Regional and Country Teams to identify needs, process improvement opportunities, and devise strategies relevant to data collection and analysis.
- Design research and investigations plans according to Greenpeace standards and protocols, including finding and verifying credible, relevant, and reliable sources of information.
- Keep abreast of research methodologies, tactics, tools, and discourse on the main environmental issues which could be of use to Greenpeace.
- Identify up-to-date sources of data and methods to continuously improve data collection, analysis, and reporting.
Implement desk research and investigations
- Conduct research and analysis related to a variety of campaign issues. Identify and analyze local, national, and global trends that may be relevant to the organization. This may include interpreting trends and patterns in large data sets.
- Collect and analyze information and data in proper format. Capture and organize useful information and data into databases to ensure strategic and valuable information is available for campaigning purposes.
- Prepare research materials and outputs, including producing briefing papers and reports to support campaign goals.
- Prepare reports for management that effectively communicate trends, patterns, and predictions using relevant data.
- When relevant, initiate collaboration and maintain relationships with internal and external individuals and institutions to enhance Greenpeace research capability.
- With guidance from the Regional Research & Investigation Coordinator, identify and prioritize research needs and strategies across Greenpeace Southeast Asia’s offices.
- Work closely with project teams to effectively plan and conduct research projects that contribute to the project’s objectives.
- Work with communications and engagement colleagues to ensure that research & investigations are translated into actionable strategy and/or communications for targeted external audiences in each country
- Help identify and develop a pool of external researchers or collaborators when required.
- Ensure accurate and professional research tasks are delivered in a timely manner.
Compliance/ Keeping Framework Conditions
- Ensure Greenpeace research and investigation are of professional quality and meet agreed global standards.
- Follow appropriate safety and security protocols in Greenpeace.
- Lead and be involved in the development of research-related protocols, policies and standards.
- Evaluate research process and outcomes. Complete evaluation reports if required.
- Responsibly direct and control project spending.
Skills and Experience Required
- Education: Bachelor or Master Degree or equivalent working experience, preferably related to the environment, climate change, human rights, sustainable development, social sciences or other related fields.
- At least three years research or field investigation experience.
- Experience with data collection and analysis is desirable.
- Goal Orientation: Adopts a strong orientation toward achieving goals and results; holds high expectations for self and others.
- Interpersonal Relationships: Demonstrates an active concern for people and their needs and the ability to build key stakeholder relationships.
- Knowledge sharing: The ability to use and contribute to knowledge bases in the organization, developing and sharing leading practices.
- Innovation: Comfortable in fast-changing environments; willing to take risks and to consider new and untested approaches.
- Highly developed research and analysis skills, including the ability to identify and interpret relevant information, and deliver clear and actionable findings.
- Excellent technical report writing and presentation skills.
- A keen interest in the environment and humanities related to campaigning, social movements and environmental protection.
- Proven ability to work both independently and in close coordination with a team.
- Experience in working with multi‐cultural staff and teams and across borders.
- Strong skills in written and spoken English are required. Skills in another language of Southeast Asia (especially Bahasa, Thai and Filipino) would be an advantage.
- Experience working with data and/or statistical analysis would be a plus.
- Experience with environmental issues and science behind it would be a plus.
Interested candidates are invited to (1) write Letter of Introduction, explaining why you are qualified for the position and why you want to work for Greenpeace, (2) fill out the attached application form and email to [email protected]
Deadline for Applications: 30 June 2022