17 November 2021 – The Pertahankan Hutan Simpan Kuala Langat Utara (PHSKLU) coalition demands that the Selangor State Government carries out its promise to regazette Hutan Simpan Kuala Langat Utara IMMEDIATELY, WITHOUT DELAY and WITHOUT ATTACHING ANY CONDITIONS.
We refer to the Press Release by Yang Berhormat Dato Sri Amirudin Shari on 8 September 2021 that states the Selangor State Government will begin the process to regazette the degazetted portion of Hutan Simpan Kuala Langat Utara (1,326 acres).
- We demand that the YB Menteri Besar carries out this promise to regazette 1,222 acres at once and to stop stalling the process (104 acres to remained de-gazetted and set aside for Kampung Orang Asli Busut Baru.) As it is, the initial de-gazettement was highly unpopular with immense protest from the Orang Asli communities, Selangor elected representatives, Federal Government and Malaysian public.
- We demand that the regazettement is done immediately to ensure that the forest remains untouched and reserved for protection, and thus removing all threats to the current degazetted portion of the forest. We further reiterate that there should be no development and disturbance on this degazetted portion of the forest reserve during this time.
- We do not accept the statement of the YB Menteri Besar that the Kuala Langat North Forest Reserve is to be re-gazetted only after a decision is made on the East Coast Rail Link alignment. These two actions are completely unrelated. The urgency to protect this forest cannot be linked to the timeline of an infrastructure project that may take years to develop. We emphasise that the regazettement of the 1,222 acres of the forest must be carried out in full, without conditions and without any caveat. At the same time, we note and applaud the setting out of 104 acres for Kampung Orang Asli Busut Baru.
The state government must fulfil its promise to the Selangor Rakyat on September 8 to regazette Hutan Simpan Kuala Langat Utara and stop any development proposals in the area. We demand that the Selangor State Government stop stalling and blocking the rakyat’s mandate to protect our forests. The Selangor State Government must carry out its commitment to protect and preserve forests in Selangor immediately, and this includes regazetting the degazetted portion of Hutan Simpan Kuala Langat Utara AT ONCE.
For any clarification, please contact Suresh Kumar at 019-569-6964 or [email protected]
This press release was prepared and endorsed by members of PHSKLU as below:
- Center for Orang Asli Concerns (COAC)
- Five Arts Centre
- Global Environment Centre (GEC)
- Greenpeace Malaysia
- Malaysian Nature Society (MNS) Selangor Branch
- MISI: Solidariti
- Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM)
- Persatuan Aktivis Sahabat Alam (KUASA)
- Persatuan Kesedaran dan Keadilan Iklim Malaysia ( Klima Action Malaysia- KAMY )
- Persatuan Tindakan Alam Sekitar Kuala Langat
- Pertubuhan Alam Sekitar Sejahtera (GRASS) Malaysia
- Pertubuhan Pelindung Khazanah Alam ( PEKA )
- Sahabat Alam Malaysia (SAM)
- Shaq Koyok, Orang Asli activist
- SUARAM (Suara Rakyat Malaysia)
- Treat Every Environment Special Sdn Bhd (TrEES)
This press release is also endorsed by:
- Friends of Bukit Kiara
- Rimba Disclosure Project