Call on Energy Minister Megan Woods to put solar panels and batteries on 500k homes by 2030
When the Government decided to call time on offshore oil and gas exploration, it sent a clear message: the time has come for us to look elsewhere for the energy required to run our homes, cars, businesses, and economy.
Here’s a plan:
- Delivering clean solar power and storage to half a million New Zealand homes over ten years.
- Through an interest free loan on solar panels and a battery, with no upfront costs for the homeowner.
- Financed by diverting the $88m a year of public money that is currently spent on subsidies for the oil and gas industry.
- Contributing 1.5 GW of new clean power and 3 GW of grid-stabilising battery storage to New Zealand’s electricity grid in the next decade.
- Putting power back in the hands of New Zealand households.