Global plastics treaty now!
At the United Nations Environmental Assembly last March, governments officially adopted a mandate opening negotiations for a global, legally-binding plastics treaty to address the whole lifecycle of plastics.
The negotiations for the Global Plastics Treaty will start this November, with the goal of completing the process by the end of 2024. The future treaty has a huge potential to put the world on a path towards a plastic-free future but it will be up to us to make sure that it delivers on its promises.
Let’s end the age of plastic!
Ask world leaders to support a global plastics treaty!
A strong global plastics treaty must ensure a holistic approach to ending the plastic crisis by:
- limiting plastic production and use;
- changing the way corporations deliver products to people with focus on refill and reuse;
- holding corporate polluters accountable;
- demanding full transparency on plastic production, use, import and export;
- requiring wealthy countries to lead the zero-waste transition and help others;
- ensuring Indigenous Peoples, frontline communities, waste pickers and other affected workers have a voice in designing a just transition to a reuse economy.