Join our call on the New Zealand Government to make climate crisis its nuclear free moment by taking the climate emergency seriously, with real action…Take Action
This discussion paper explores New Zealand’s current energy climate, the problems with our power sector, and the steps the Labour-led coalition needs to take over the next two years to secure a clean, modern, and affordable energy system for New Zealanders.
Seize the Sun shows how we can:
- Have 100% renewable electricity by 2030. • Electrify 85% of our transport using clean power sources by 2050.
- Insulate New Zealand’s 600,000 cold homes.
- Replace coal and gas used in industrial processes with clean electricity3 or biomass4 by 2050.
- Create thousands of jobs, both in urban areas and the region
- Reduce climate pollution across the whole energy system and play our role as a responsible international player within the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Cut our dependence on expensive imported oil, which currently costs $5.7 billion a year