Make Oil History
Join our call on the New Zealand Government to make climate change its nuclear free moment by declaring a climate emergency, and then acting on…Take Action
This discussion paper explores New Zealand’s current energy climate, the problems with our power sector, and the steps the Labour-led coalition needs to take over the next two years to secure a clean, modern, and affordable energy system for New Zealanders.
Seize the Sun shows how we can:
- Have 100% renewable electricity by 2030. • Electrify 85% of our transport using clean power sources by 2050.
- Insulate New Zealand’s 600,000 cold homes.
- Replace coal and gas used in industrial processes with clean electricity3 or biomass4 by 2050.
- Create thousands of jobs, both in urban areas and the region
- Reduce climate pollution across the whole energy system and play our role as a responsible international player within the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Cut our dependence on expensive imported oil, which currently costs $5.7 billion a year