Target Scorecard & Letter Toolkit
Thank you for signing up to do a scorecard delivery, whether it’s online or in person, we are so happy to have you be part of this campaign. Hundreds of supporters like you helped Greenpeace to evaluate 20 large supermarket chains on their plastic footprints and actions (or lack thereof) to address the plastic pollution crisis.
It’s time for Target to step up. Let the Target managers near you know that they can do better when it comes to all the single use plastic in their stores.
Tell Target leadership to take the following steps to reduce its plastic footprint:
- Release a bold, time-bound plan to reduce and ultimately eliminate single-use plastics
- Set annual targets to reduce your plastic footprint and keep the public updated on your progress
- Introduce transparency by publishing yearly audits of single-use plastic use
- Eliminate unnecessary and non-recyclable plastic packaging, including plastic bags
- Work with your own brand and national brand suppliers to transition to reuse and refill systems
Here’s how to get started:
- Download and print the scorecard.
- Download and print the letter.
- Take the scorecard and letter to one or more Target stores near you.
- Ask to speak with the manager, if they aren’t available, ask if the person in charge that day is available. Otherwise, there should also be a comment box in which you can drop the scorecard.
- If you do chat with a Target store manager, here is a sample script you can use:
- Hi, my name is ________, thank you for taking the time to chat with me. I shop here often and was shocked to see Target ranked 8th in Greenpeace’s new scorecard ranking supermarkets on single-use plastics. Would you please share this scorecard with your corporate office and let them know that customers like me are concerned about the plastic pollution crisis. We want to see Target immediately take action to phase out single-use plastics and switch to reuse and refill systems.
- Lastly, when you are done making your scorecard and letter deliveries, fill out this report back form — just 3 minutes of your time.
It’s that easy!